5.12.2013

St. Thomas - Take Me Back!

St. Thomas, in my opinion, is the most beautiful of the three U.S. Virgin Islands.  Though I was only on each one for a small period of time, St. Thomas left me with the best first impression.  I went over Christmas break of 2011 on a Caribbean cruise.   The day that I spent on St. Thomas seemed to fly as every moment of it was an unforgettable experience.  The first thing we did, once we got our land legs back, was hop into a tour bus and take a short tour on our way to Magen's Bay.  The tropical island was, to sum it up, green and gorgeous.  We got off the bus for a quick photo op above Magen's Bay.  The bay was so many different shades of brilliant blue, it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been in my life.
Magen's Bay from above.  



Next stop was the bay itself.  The water was crystal clear and so clean that you could see the fish swimming eight feet down.  The sand was no different - white, silky and spotless.  We rented beach chairs at the shop by the beach and lounged all day in the sun.  It has been said that Magen's Bay has been ranked in the National Geographics "Top 10 Beaches"  list.  Although I do not know if this is true, it sure deserves a spot in the rankings.

Relaxing on the beach. 

After having our fair share of fun in the sun, we shopped around the little town of Charlotte Amalie for a while.  Let me tell you though, the roads on this island are crazy!  Narrow, twisty, and hilly, you are in for an adventure!  It definitely adds to the character of the island though.  The main part of town was, not surprisingly, a tourist town.  Being a major dock for cruise ships though, you can't expect much different.  The town is definitely charming though with most stores having wide, double doors propped open and brick paved roads.  St. Thomas is a place where I want to spend more than just a day enjoying.  I know my family has looked into renting a beach house here - that's how much we want to come back.  And hopefully, one day I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment