7.13.2013

If You Give a Girl a Greek Salad . . .

. . . she's going to ask for a glass of milk.

Just kidding.  It would be water.

But if you didn't catch the reference, I had a "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" type of experience yesterday that all started with my Greek salad.
This is not my Greek salad.  I got it off the Jet's Pizza Website. I know, I shouldn't even be called a blogger. 
 If you don't know what I mean by "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie," march yourself down to the children's section of your local library and enjoy a taste of my childhood.  If it makes you feel better, drag a little kid along with you so that you have a valid reason to be there if you are confronted.

Anyways, remember that day that I kinda freaked out about only having 365 days left until I made my way to Europe? I told you that I would dive a little deeper into each of the places I would be going as the time got closer, so I'm using my experience yesterday as a perfect reason to fulfill my promise.  

It all started with a Greek salad.  The kind with wayyy too much feta and not enough cucumbers.  But that's not the point.

I started wondering if the Greek salad that's served in America is similar to the actual Greek version of the Greek salad.  You know, how American pizza is thick, greasy and topped with as many toppings that you can possibly stuff onto the flour-y dough, but the Italian version is thin, simple and doesn't come pre-sliced.
American pizza - in all it's thick, greasy glory. 

Pizza italiana
Italian pizza led me to Italian food in general.  Olive oil, basil, bread, pasta dishes galore!  Please tell me that I'm not the only one drooling here.

Italian food made me think of eating Italian food in a really cute, little Italian bakery with the very best gelato that I will ever taste in my life.

Which, in turn, brings me to gelato.  One word: YUM.


It is my one wish in life to experience authentic Italian gelato (well, one of many food-related wishes).  But more specifically, cioccolato all’arancia gelato - chocolate orange gelato.  Even more specifically, the very best cioccolato all’arancia gelato that Italy has to offer.

While in Italy, I will hit cities such as Rome, Venice, Assisi, Florence, Pompeii, and the Sorrento region.  There has to be at least 75 billion gelato shops between those six cities, and I, being the naive tourist and food-lover that I am, will fall for the very first one I set my eyes on.

For that reason, before I set forth on my European dream, I will definitely do my research on where to go and where not to go gelato shop edition.

Or, I could just hit up every gelato vender I walk by.

You know, that actually sounds pretty good.

Do any of you seasoned Italian adventurers have some tips for me?  You have 'em, I'll take 'em! 

No comments:

Post a Comment